From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New install isos needed
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:06:26
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:32:22 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > imho we should contact the sysrescuecd developers and suggest more close
4 > cooperation, such that it could be called official install media in
5 > gentoo-terms
6
7 I've wondered for years why gentoo invests all that effort into creating
8 its own install media, when there's many dedicated projects out there
9 whose whole purpose is live install/rescue media. It has always seemed
10 to me that we'd be better off simply using one of them and saving the
11 effort for something closer to our core competency/mission.
12
13 Yes, there's some pride in being able to say we're self-hosting. But is
14 it /really/ worth it? To me personally, the answer has always been no.
15
16 But gentoo, like most volunteer projects, is very much a "scratch your
17 own itch" type of thing. As long as there's gentoo devs with that
18 itch... but /is/ there, any more?
19
20 And given that sysrescuecd is gentoo-based, there's a good argument to be
21 made that having it as it our official install media isn't giving up on
22 self-hosting at all. In fact, by declaring it our official installer
23 even as we recognize its independent place in the larger FLOSS community,
24 we're recognizing its value and importance not only to us, but to the
25 larger community of which we are a part.
26
27 Thus definitely ++.
28
29 The one big concern I have is that in our approach to the srcd folks we
30 make clear we're *NOT* attempting to take over their project. That's the
31 sensitivity I see with the co-branded idea. I'd actually prefer that we
32 NOT do a co-branded thing, unless the srcd folks suggest it (this assumes
33 yngwin's not srcd upstream and thus did indeed just make that offer, I
34 don't know), and simply cooperate a bit more with them, filing bugs (and
35 as their upstream fixing them in gentoo where possible), helping to fix
36 the ppp networking config issues already mentioned, etc, while simply
37 using their releases as they are. If we want to point out that they're a
38 gentoo-based project that we happily endorse in our handbook links to
39 them, great, but I'm afraid a co-branded suggestion from our side might
40 come across as an attempt to take over, and that'd benefit absolutely no
41 one!
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman