From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New install isos needed
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:04:21
1 On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > I've wondered for years why gentoo invests all that effort into creating
3 > its own install media, when there's many dedicated projects out there
4 > whose whole purpose is live install/rescue media.
5
6 Tend to agree. I'd focus more on keeping stage3s up-to-date. After
7 we perform fairly significant system package changes (the kind that
8 involve news items) there is a tendency for stage3s to take even weeks
9 on some occasions to get updated. That means that the first
10 experience of a new Gentoo user is to get to do a udev migration,
11 resolve blocks, read news items, or whatever.
12
13 Ideally these big changes should be coordinated with releng, but maybe
14 that isn't realistic. Our stage3s should still catch up reasonably
15 quickly.
16
17 I haven't run my gentoo bootstrap scripts, but as of a few weeks ago
18 the x86 one was still having to manually uninstall module-init-tools.
19 That may be fixed now, but in general it has been my observation that
20 automated builds of complex Gentoo systems (kde, gnome with desktop
21 profiles) tend to fail more often than not due to one problem or
22 another. Ideally it should just involve setting the appropriate
23 profile and emerging the appropriate meta-package. In practice you
24 have to set a few USE flags as well (which for whatever reason the
25 profile doesn't set). However, much of the time you end up having to
26 fix missed dep keywords, blockers, etc. I do try to log these issues
27 when I spot them, but haven't generally done this if the issue is
28 simply that the stage3 is a few weeks old (I don't mind doing that,
29 but I suspect it won't really be anything releng isn't already aware
30 of).
31
32 For an educational experience unpack a stage3 in a chroot and try to
33 emerge kde or gnome. Then try it again two weeks later. This is what
34 our new users experience.
35
36 Rich