From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:04:40
1 On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:00:16 +0100
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > In this case the maintainer isn't needed on the bug anymore.
5
6 You can't simply drop your old toys when you get bored with them.
7 You're leaving a mess in the tree and blaming others. You have achieved
8 nothing else.
9
10 > > Or when another arch alias got CC'd later on. Or when a maintainer
11 > > got fed up waiting and reassigned to an arch team in a "rage quit".
12 > > And so on. It makes very messy bug reports. Musical chairs, anyone?
13 >
14 > The music seems unfit for the situation, how does this apply here?
15
16 Google "musical chairs".
17
18 > > > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what about
19 > > > a separate project that handles this, or maybe we could assign the
20 > > > bugs to m-n or something until the arch teams catch up?
21 > >
22 > > Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
23 >
24 > The lack of manpower is a given by this thread, it's more about
25 > relief.
26
27 So maintainers should clean up their old ebuilds and not expect
28 understaffed arch teams to do it for them. Since elsewhere you actually
29 agreed with WilliamH agreeing with me on this point, it isn't clear what
30 you're meaningfully trying to add here.
31
32 > Exactly, it's that simple; but, it will be reverted per policy.
33
34 Is the punctuation supposed to mean anything here? I can't make sense
35 of this otherwise.
36
37 > Stabilization requires tons of manpower to really work; the only way
38 > to get that to happen with high efficiency and effectivity is to
39 > bring a lot more people to the table, and let it also be done by the
40 > users that already have interest in running ~ on their systems.
41
42 You're again negating the premise that the team that is expected to do
43 the work is understaffed. This isn't a company where you simply hire
44 some more people to do the work or bring in an interim manager to fix
45 a team. The way volunteer work gets done is that you let stuff bitrot
46 for a while, make users suffer, and that if no one turns up to do the
47 work for you, someone will come in and clean up.
50 jer