From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 17:48:18
1 On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 15:04:30 +0100
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:00:16 +0100
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > In this case the maintainer isn't needed on the bug anymore.
8 >
9 > You can't simply drop your old toys when you get bored with them.
10 > You're leaving a mess in the tree and blaming others. You have
11 > achieved nothing else.
12
13 In real life; if you take someone else's toys out of the garbage can,
14 they become your mess and it reverts my achievement of ditching them.
15
16 > > > Or when another arch alias got CC'd later on. Or when a maintainer
17 > > > got fed up waiting and reassigned to an arch team in a "rage
18 > > > quit". And so on. It makes very messy bug reports. Musical
19 > > > chairs, anyone?
20 > >
21 > > The music seems unfit for the situation, how does this apply here?
22 >
23 > Google "musical chairs".
24
25 Keeping the unfit music off, we don't play; how does this apply here?
26
27 > > > > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what
28 > > > > about a separate project that handles this, or maybe we could
29 > > > > assign the bugs to m-n or something until the arch teams catch
30 > > > > up?
31 > > >
32 > > > Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
33 > >
34 > > The lack of manpower is a given by this thread, it's more about
35 > > relief.
36 >
37 > So maintainers should clean up their old ebuilds and not expect
38 > understaffed arch teams to do it for them.
39
40 The understaffed arch teams want to keep them around.
41
42 > Since elsewhere you actually agreed with WilliamH agreeing with me on
43 > this point, it isn't clear what you're meaningfully trying to add
44 > here.
45
46 Sounds like another context.
47
48 > > Exactly, it's that simple; but, it will be reverted per policy.
49 >
50 > Is the punctuation supposed to mean anything here? I can't make sense
51 > of this otherwise.
52
53 Replace the boundary marks by terminal marks if that helps; however,
54 the pauses here are as intended in a way that makes sense.
55
56 > > Stabilization requires tons of manpower to really work; the only way
57 > > to get that to happen with high efficiency and effectivity is to
58 > > bring a lot more people to the table, and let it also be done by the
59 > > users that already have interest in running ~ on their systems.
60 >
61 > You're again negating the premise that the team that is expected to do
62 > the work is understaffed. This isn't a company where you simply hire
63 > some more people to do the work or bring in an interim manager to fix
64 > a team. The way volunteer work gets done is that you let stuff bitrot
65 > for a while, make users suffer, and that if no one turns up to do the
66 > work for you, someone will come in and clean up.
67
68 The users will do; given that we already know that, we can work towards
69 it.
72 With kind regards,
73
74 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
75 Gentoo Developer
76
77 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
78 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
79 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D