From: Jean Jordaan <jean@×××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] and Python! (Re: [gentoo-dev] Slotting Tcl/Tk)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:04:28
1 Hi all
2
3 > You can have installed two packages using two SLOTs in one time. But if you
4 > update or install anything, current packages/ebuilds have no intelligence to
5 > guess, for which SLOT they should be compiled.
6
7 I'm really not up to speed on this issue, but it feels very similar to
8 Python hassles I've had. We run Zope, which uses Python 2.1.3, but we
9 also use packages that require other Pythons, including 2.3. The Zope
10 Product ebuilds are clever enough to install into the site-packages of
11 multiple /usr/lib/python2.*, but other Python module ebuilds want to
12 install into only one (the newest?) Python's site-packages. It would be
13 necessary to say "I want to emerge this module for the Python in that
14 SLOT", and to have this reflected in the output of the gentoolkit tools.
17 Jean Jordaan
18 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list