From: Stanislav Brabec <utx@g.o>
To: Eamon Caddigan <ecaddiga@××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Slotting Tcl/Tk
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:44:43
1 On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 02:42:10AM +0000, Eamon Caddigan wrote:
2 > Howdy, y'all.
3 >
4 > I rekkon it's time we reopen bug #4450. I thought I'd post it to
5 > gentoo-dev because a) tcl/tk is important, and can break a lot of stuff
6 > and b) I'm relatively inexperienced with writing ebuilds, and would
7 > appreciate comments and suggestions.
10 SLOTting packages, which provides identical interface and cannot seamlessly
11 co-exist in system, is bad idea.
12
13 You can have installed two packages using two SLOTs in one time. But if you
14 update or install anything, current packages/ebuilds have no intelligence to
15 guess, for which SLOT they should be compiled. It will compile for this SLOT,
16 which has created actual instances of /gentoo/usr/lib/*Config.sh!
17
18 Two tcl/tk versions are partially acceptable for binary-only distributions
19 where different soname is reasonable protection. But for systems compiled from
20 source, risks of version mismatch is very high.
21
22 Tcl/tk extensions built randomly for tcl/tk 8.3 and 8.4 will not work well when
23 they are combined.
24
25 Summary:
26
27 Tcl/tk slots is bad idea. It can change only if somebody will hack all
28 dev-lang/tcl (and some extra) ebuilds to be able to create simultaneously
29 packages for both tcl/tk 8.3 and 8.4 (if they support building for both
30 versions).
31
32 ---
33
34 Tcl/tk situation is NOT similar to Apache 1/2 or GNOME 1/2, which has
35 different interfaces and different library names.
36
37 This situation is very similar to libc5 and glibc few years ago - yes, you can
38 install both in one system. Yes, existing packages will continue to work. But
39 oops - new packages using one library compiled for libc5 and one for glibc
40 will most probably crash.
41
42 There is a chance for simple SLOTting - using /opt/prefix for alternative tcl
43 versions. In such case you have to install all extensions twice - once for main
44 system, once for alternative. For more, see insight ebuild.
45
46 -- Stanislav Brabec
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list