From: Eamon Caddigan <ecaddiga@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Slotting Tcl/Tk
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:40:05
1 Stanislav Brabec <utx@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Tcl/tk slots is bad idea. It can change only if somebody will hack all
4 > dev-lang/tcl (and some extra) ebuilds to be able to create simultaneously
5 > packages for both tcl/tk 8.3 and 8.4 (if they support building for both
6 > versions).
7
8 If this is true, then I feel it's imperative that Tcl/Tk 8.4 become
9 stable, and all other packages in portage are made to work with it. 8.4
10 is about a year old now, and I find it unacceptable that it's only
11 available as an "unstable" package. This situation reminds me of that
12 *other* distro.
13
14 I agree that there are a lot of potential issues involved with SLOTting
15 this package. Unfortunately, the only alternatives -- a similarly
16 massive effort to make sure everything works with the newest version, or
17 sticking with an increasingly out-of-date package -- seem worse.
18
19 Thoughts?
20
21 -Eamon