From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE flags in virtuals, to allow a specific provider to be determined
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:18:40
1 On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:12:53 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ah, ok, I was wondering why REQUIRED_USE was implemented then :/, I
4 > guess it was for simplifying ebuilds?
5
6 It was a historical mistake: originally we were going to use
7 pkg_pretend for this. But claims were made that this would break some
8 mythical auto-building systems, and that something machine-readable was
9 needed. Unfortunately the Council bought this, and put through
10 REQUIRED_USE without a reference implementation.
11
12 Needless to say, the end result is something that isn't human-readable,
13 and isn't used by any mythical auto-building systems.
14
15 (Incidentally, Exherbo has a both human- and machine-readable
16 implementation, which *is* used by an auto-building system, but the
17 syntax won't meet Gentoo approval...)
20 Ciaran McCreesh