From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE flags in virtuals, to allow a specific provider to be determined
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 08:28:29
1 El vie, 25-07-2014 a las 21:18 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh escribió:
2 > On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:12:53 +0200
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Ah, ok, I was wondering why REQUIRED_USE was implemented then :/, I
5 > > guess it was for simplifying ebuilds?
6 >
7 > It was a historical mistake: originally we were going to use
8 > pkg_pretend for this. But claims were made that this would break some
9 > mythical auto-building systems, and that something machine-readable was
10 > needed. Unfortunately the Council bought this, and put through
11 > REQUIRED_USE without a reference implementation.
12 >
13 > Needless to say, the end result is something that isn't human-readable,
14 > and isn't used by any mythical auto-building systems.
15 >
16 > (Incidentally, Exherbo has a both human- and machine-readable
17 > implementation, which *is* used by an auto-building system, but the
18 > syntax won't meet Gentoo approval...)
21 Maybe REQUIRED_USE could allow us to set an error message for each line
22 to allow us to instruct PMs about what message should they who to the
23 users :/ (it would show our message that should be more clear, a bit
24 like we are able to do with "die 'message'")