From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RDEPEND definition in docs differ from official PMS specs
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:22:08
1 On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:21:55 +0200
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 > One thing to note why it's bad to rely on it is that if you have an
4 > eclass setting RDEPEND then you are probably not getting what you
5 > wanted.
6
7 Actually, you do. If you have ebuild:
8
9 DEPEND="from/ebuild"
10
11 and eclass:
12
13 DEPEND="from/eclass"
14 RDEPEND="also-from/eclass"
15
16 you end up with:
17
18 DEPEND="from/ebuild from/eclass"
19 RDEPEND="from/ebuild also-from/eclass"
20
21 It's been that way for several years now.
22
23 And yes, I'd really like to see this killed for EAPI 3. Ideally we'd go
24 with a single DEPENDENCIES variable with labels of some kind,
25 something like:
26
27 DEPENDENCIES="
28 build:
29 foo/bar
30 build+run:
31 foo/baz
32 post:
33 foo/plugin"
34
35 which would make it much easier to start specifying dependencies for
36 use of ROOT properly in the future -- it'd just be new labels, not
37 zillions of new variables.
40 Ciaran McCreesh