From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RDEPEND definition in docs differ from official PMS specs
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:06:35
1 On Sunday 18 of January 2009 16:21:57 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > And yes, I'd really like to see this killed for EAPI 3. Ideally we'd go
4 > with a single DEPENDENCIES variable with labels of some kind,
5 > something like:
6 >
7 > DEPENDENCIES="
8 > build:
9 > foo/bar
10 > build+run:
11 > foo/baz
12 > post:
13 > foo/plugin"
14 >
15 > which would make it much easier to start specifying dependencies for
16 > use of ROOT properly in the future -- it'd just be new labels, not
17 > zillions of new variables.
18
19 What's the benefit of changing syntax so dramatically? (apart from the sake of
20 changing it to someone's liking) and what's so wrong with zillion of separate
21 dependency variables? Are they too easy to read, implement and understand?
22 As everyone knows, to avoid copy&paste one can easily use such scheme:
23
24 COMMONDEPEND="
25 somedep
26 someotherdep
27 someuse? ( conddep )
28 "
29 DEPEND="${COMMONDEPEND}
30 somebuilddeponly
31 "
32 RDEPEND="${COMMONDEPEND}
33 someruntimedeponly
34 "
35
36 Similar simple bash play can be used for other purposes as well.
39 regards
40 MM