From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RDEPEND definition in docs differ from official PMS specs
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:23:33
1 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > On Sunday 18 of January 2009 16:21:57 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >
4 >> And yes, I'd really like to see this killed for EAPI 3. Ideally we'd go
5 >> with a single DEPENDENCIES variable with labels of some kind,
6 >> something like:
7 >>
8 >> DEPENDENCIES="
9 >> build:
10 >> foo/bar
11 >> build+run:
12 >> foo/baz
13 >> post:
14 >> foo/plugin"
15 >>
16 >> which would make it much easier to start specifying dependencies for
17 >> use of ROOT properly in the future -- it'd just be new labels, not
18 >> zillions of new variables.
19 >
20 > What's the benefit of changing syntax so dramatically? (apart from the sake of
21 > changing it to someone's liking) and what's so wrong with zillion of separate
22 > dependency variables? Are they too easy to read, implement and understand?
23 > As everyone knows, to avoid copy&paste one can easily use such scheme:
26 I don't think I have heard any devs opposing labels yet. Labels enable a
27 lot of good things when you start to use them heavily. See Exherbo docs
28 for ideas:
29
30 http://www.exherbo.org/exheres-0.html#dependencies
31
32 > COMMONDEPEND="
33 > somedep
34 > someotherdep
35 > someuse? ( conddep )
36 > "
37 > DEPEND="${COMMONDEPEND}
38 > somebuilddeponly
39 > "
40 > RDEPEND="${COMMONDEPEND}
41 >
42 > "
43 >
44 > Similar simple bash play can be used for other purposes as well.
45
46 Yeah you can usually make things more complex than they need to be if
47 you want.
48
49 DEPENDENCIES="
50 build: