From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 18:58:21
1 On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> >> If we say we stick to upstream then we don't provide pkg-config files
4 >> >> at all (in these cases).
5 >>
6 >> > I think this is a sane default.
7 >>
8 >> Except having pkg-config is the only way to fix some of the build
9 >> issues we are seeing today, like getting 'Libs.private: ' for
10 >> static linking, there has been multiple bugs lately,
11 >
12 > I honestly don't think that it's Gentoo's place to fix those issues.
13 >
14 > Just error out. Make users complain to upstream when upstream has a
15 > problem. Don't hide the problem and amass a huge support workload.
18 From my experience, there are lots of issues in upstream projects'
19 build system, most of the these result from lack of knowledge. Up
20 until now, downstream patches that were actually used by users found
21 their way better into upstream than just complaining that stuff
22 breaks, as upstream honestly does not have the knowledge to fix. It
23 also gives a chance to test them properly before submitting.
24
25 There are projects that will not accept any patch regardless of the
26 problem it solves, unless it is for their own favour distribution and
27 packager, so not providing solution for our users does not makes sense
28 to me.
29
30 Regards,
31 Alon