From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 18:48:24
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > >> If we say we stick to upstream then we don't provide pkg-config files
3 > >> at all (in these cases).
4 >
5 > > I think this is a sane default.
6 >
7 > Except having pkg-config is the only way to fix some of the build
8 > issues we are seeing today, like getting 'Libs.private: ' for
9 > static linking, there has been multiple bugs lately,
10
11 I honestly don't think that it's Gentoo's place to fix those issues.
12
13 Just error out. Make users complain to upstream when upstream has a
14 problem. Don't hide the problem and amass a huge support workload.
17 > and we are in middle of process of obsoleting every custom foo-config
18
19 Again I don't think that's Gentoo's decision to make. It could
20 certainly be a user's decision, but complexity would explode.
23 > so having pkg-config files is an absolute requirement.
24
25 You haven't provided a rationale, only a circular argument:
26
27 "We're taking action which requires .pc so having .pc is a requirement."
28
29 My key point is that it isn't Gentoo's responsibility or duty to fix
30 problems introduced by upstreams, even if Gentoo developers are so
31 skilled that they would be able to.
32
33 I think your time is better spent on things that are not broken.
36 > Some binary-only distros might get away without them, but we won't.
37
38 I think it's perfectly fine to refuse including something that is
39 broken and unmaintainable. That doesn't mean that one has to be an
40 asshole about it and treat requsts badly however. It's easy to
41 politely decline. "This is too much effort for me to maintain.
42 Please become a developer and maintain it if you want it, or proxy
43 maintain it."
46 > > If upstream pkg A depends on $distro-specific foo of pkg B then that
47 > > will obviously not work in an environment only following upstreams,
48 > > and will require effort to untie gentoo pkg A from $distro specifics.
49 >
50 > pkg-config by design works without .pc files if needed,
51 > so if this is the only problem with them, it's really no problem
52
53 I think it is a problem, because Gentoo starts having an opinion.
54
55 I don't like that. For me, Gentoo is all about letting me decide.
56
57 That means I must be exposed to broken upstreams, so that *I* can
58 decide how to deal with them.
59
60 Maybe introduce a USE flag for installing .pc:s in ${FILESDIR} ?
63 > at all compared to the problems caused by lacking the pkg-config files
64
65 Don't own those problems - they aren't yours.
68 > (Are we seriously discussing banning something useful as pkg-config
69 > files?! That's retarded. Must be some joke.)
70
71 I don't think I said to ban them. I said that I want Gentoo to stay
72 close to upstream by default. I also said that maintainers shouldn't
73 be expected to untie upstream bugknots.
74
75 Please do not call me retarded again.
78 Thanks
79
80 //Peter