From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 00:53:00
1 On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 07:21:47AM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2013 03:32 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > from what I'm seeing, we should look into converting /etc/mtab to a
6 > > symlink to /proc/self/mounts [1].
7 > >
8 > > Are there any remaining concerns about doing this?
9 >
10 > Apart from breaking umount -a and some other things?
11 > None at all ;)
12 >
13 > (The breakage is visible e.g. with umount -a tmpfs, which used to be
14 > quite useful if you had a few chroots with /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs and
15 > wanted to reset them. Now it'll also punt random things like /run if
16 > you're lucky - and in the past it knocked out the OpenRC state directory
17 > reliably)
18 >
19 > There are pretty good historical reasons for having /etc/mtab as a file,
20 > maybe you should do some archeology before just trying to change things.
21
22 and maybe you should think before you accuse. Coming to this list *is*
23 doing that archaeology. If I were going to change things without doing
24 that archaeology, I would just make the change happen without warning.
25
26 William