From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:20:43
1 On 10/14/2013 03:32 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > from what I'm seeing, we should look into converting /etc/mtab to a
5 > symlink to /proc/self/mounts [1].
6 >
7 > Are there any remaining concerns about doing this?
8
9 Apart from breaking umount -a and some other things?
10 None at all ;)
11
12 (The breakage is visible e.g. with umount -a tmpfs, which used to be
13 quite useful if you had a few chroots with /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs and
14 wanted to reset them. Now it'll also punt random things like /run if
15 you're lucky - and in the past it knocked out the OpenRC state directory
16 reliably)
17
18 There are pretty good historical reasons for having /etc/mtab as a file,
19 maybe you should do some archeology before just trying to change things.
20
21 Applications that can't handle a properly set up Linux system should be
22 patched to either use /proc/mounts unconditionally or randomly segfault
23 to emulate proper Windows best practises.
26 > If not, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make baselayout create
27 > this symlink in the stages (I'm willing to do this work), but what about
28 > on systems that are already installed? Should we send out a news item
29 > and have everyone convert their /etc/mtab manually or find a way to
30 > automate that?
31
32 ... you automate that, you get a few angry bugs.
33 Better to warn, if you absolutely have to, and let users consciously
34 remove features when they are ready for it.
35
36 Thanks,
37
38 Patrick