From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:29:30
1 On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2013 03:32 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> from what I'm seeing, we should look into converting /etc/mtab to a
6 >> symlink to /proc/self/mounts [1].
7 >>
8 >> Are there any remaining concerns about doing this?
9 >
10 > Apart from breaking umount -a and some other things?
11 > None at all ;)
12 >
13 > (The breakage is visible e.g. with umount -a tmpfs, which used to be
14 > quite useful if you had a few chroots with /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs and
15 > wanted to reset them. Now it'll also punt random things like /run if
16 > you're lucky - and in the past it knocked out the OpenRC state directory
17 > reliably)
20 I don't follow this: it seems like umount -a is supposed to unmount
21 all filesystems. umount -a -t tmpfs would unmount all tmpfs
22 filesystems. /run should be included in that set, even if mtab is a
23 regular file.