From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:37:13
1 On 10/14/2013 07:29 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 10/14/2013 03:32 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >>> All,
5 >>>
6 >>> from what I'm seeing, we should look into converting /etc/mtab to a
7 >>> symlink to /proc/self/mounts [1].
8 >>>
9 >>> Are there any remaining concerns about doing this?
10 >>
11 >> Apart from breaking umount -a and some other things?
12 >> None at all ;)
13 >>
14 >> (The breakage is visible e.g. with umount -a tmpfs, which used to be
15 >> quite useful if you had a few chroots with /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs and
16 >> wanted to reset them. Now it'll also punt random things like /run if
17 >> you're lucky - and in the past it knocked out the OpenRC state directory
18 >> reliably)
21 > I don't follow this: it seems like umount -a is supposed to unmount
22 > all filesystems. umount -a -t tmpfs would unmount all tmpfs
23 > filesystems. /run should be included in that set, even if mtab is a
24 > regular file.
27 And the magic trick is to keep "system mounts" like /run out of
28 /etc/mtab (willful desynchronization) so that umount -a doesn't nuke
29 them by accident.
30
31 ... why else would you keep such data in two non-synchronized locations?! :D