From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, wg-stable@g.o, arch-leads@g.o, Gentoo alpha AT <alpha@g.o>, Gentoo AMD64 AT <amd64@g.o>, amd64-fbsd@g.o, Gentoo arm AT <arm@g.o>, arm64@g.o, Gentoo hppa AT <hppa@g.o>, Gentoo ia64 AT <ia64@g.o>, Gentoo m68k AT <m68k@g.o>, Gentoo mips AT <mips@g.o>, Gentoo ppc AT <ppc@g.o>, Gentoo ppc64 AT <ppc64@g.o>, Gentoo s390 AT <s390@g.o>, Gentoo sh AT <sh@g.o>, Gentoo sparc AT <sparc@g.o>, Gentoo x86 AT <x86@g.o>, x86-fbsd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 14:28:13
1 On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I feel like this is going towards 'anybody can do keywording /
4 > stabilization'. I'd rather not go this route right now, and just let
5 > arch teams recruit people as they see fit.
8 I think this depends on the arch team.
9
10 Back in the early days of amd64 I was an AT and an early adopter in
11 general. There were a lot of bugs with types/etc and broken
12 assumptions. It was helpful to have a team that was familiar with the
13 most common problems and which had the hardware to test things.
14
15 Now we never see an amd64-specific issue because that is what all the
16 upstream projects do their own QA using. If anything we'd be more
17 likely to see x86 bugs, but most people have learned how to use types
18 correctly/etc, and I suspect this has benefited other architectures as
19 well.
20
21 I saw an analogous situation with systemd. In the early days we were
22 writing a lot of units. These days it is just dealing with one-offs
23 as much of the work is now upstreamed.
24
25 I think that the more mainstream something is, the less the need for
26 specialized teams to deal with every issue. Sure, somebody could
27 always escalate a sticky problem, but having an arch team do every
28 stabilization seems like having the gcc team look at every build
29 error.
32 Rich