From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 20:18:15
1 On 02/03/2017 02:09 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Friday, February 3, 2017 2:53:59 PM EST Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> On 02/03/2017 01:33 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:
4 >>> We might as well go back to before IUSE defaults then. Part of the
5 >>> advantage of IUSE defaults is maintainers don't all have to fiddle with
6 >>> the profiles, everything can be self-contained in the ebuild. This
7 >>> drastically complicates maintenance, having two locations to track and
8 >>> change rather than just one.
9 >>
10 >> You still retain the benefit for IUSE defaults that actually belong in
11 >> the base profile, just not for upstream defaults or the ones that you
12 >> personally prefer.
13 >
14 > That is a side effect, as it is more about the package maintainer choosing the
15 > defaults. They are not messing with profiles. That base ends up with it is
16 > indirect. Otherwise IUSE default flags would have to be per profile rather than
17 > in the package. Which would create more work for package maintainers.
18 >
19 >>> I suspect that there is a small subset
20 >>> of people interested in this, and perhaps those people could maintain a
21 >>> "minimal" profile that unsets IUSE defaults.
22 >>
23 >> Then every IUSE default gets recorded twice: once when the maintainer
24 >> puts it in the ebuild, and once when I add it (negated) to the minimal
25 >> profile. That's a bad design even if we pretend that I can solve the
26 >> problem of tracking every IUSE change in the tree.
27 >
28 > Sorry if its been suggested, I haven't followed every comment. What about some
29 > global env variable that could override all default IUSE. That can set in
30 > base, and set what ever minimal IUSE flags that are needed.
31 >
32 I support the idea of a profile-set variable that determines whether or
33 not IUSE is respected. Minimalists get their systems faster, we get
34 something that adds to Gentoo's versatility and an additional profile.
35 Of course, we should be asking the anti-IUSE people if that would be
36 good enough to make the profiles/systems they want possible.
39 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
40 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
41 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6