From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using cvs as your portage directory
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:34:05
1 On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 18:55, Brandon Hale wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 23:10 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 >
4 > This may or may not be of use to any of you, but here is how I do
5 > things.. My main tree (/usr/portage) uses typical rsync, this is what I
6 > sync nightly. Note that a nightly rsync update is less stressful on our
7 > infrastructure as we have numerous mirrors for just this purpose. I have
8 > an overlay in /usr/local/portage for things that I'm playing with but
9 > have no intentions to commit. This is my PORTDIR_OVERLAY in make.conf.
10 > Lastly, I have a cvs checkout of the tree in ~/work/gentoo-x86 to
11 > develop against. If I want to test something in the tree, I can simply
12 > pass PORTDIR_OVERLAY inline and override the variable in the environment
13 > (this might be additive, doesnt matter either way), such as
14 > `PORTDIR_OVERLAY="~/work/gentoo-x86" emerge foo`. With some $1 action,
15 > this lends itself to a simple alias.
16 >
17 > What are the pros? I have a complete and up to date tree w/o putting
18 > unneeded stress on our infra. I also have a place for testing ebuilds I
19 > am not ready to commit. And most importantly to me, I can also work on
20 > the tree in CVS w/o any extra hassle. Any questions, or improvements on
21 > the above feel free to drop me a line.
22
23 This is exactly what I do, minus the updating of my /usr/portage
24 nightly. I probably only update once a week or so on most of my
25 machines, unless I am working on something specific which requires it.
26
27 I like to keep my trees separate, and even go so far as to keep a VMWare
28 image of x86 to fire up and test things on when I'm making changes to
29 the stable tree for x86 rather than ~x86.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Developer, Gentoo Linux
34 Games Team
35