From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using cvs as your portage directory
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:55:27
1 On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 23:10 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 This may or may not be of use to any of you, but here is how I do
4 things.. My main tree (/usr/portage) uses typical rsync, this is what I
5 sync nightly. Note that a nightly rsync update is less stressful on our
6 infrastructure as we have numerous mirrors for just this purpose. I have
7 an overlay in /usr/local/portage for things that I'm playing with but
8 have no intentions to commit. This is my PORTDIR_OVERLAY in make.conf.
9 Lastly, I have a cvs checkout of the tree in ~/work/gentoo-x86 to
10 develop against. If I want to test something in the tree, I can simply
11 pass PORTDIR_OVERLAY inline and override the variable in the environment
12 (this might be additive, doesnt matter either way), such as
13 `PORTDIR_OVERLAY="~/work/gentoo-x86" emerge foo`. With some $1 action,
14 this lends itself to a simple alias.
15
16 What are the pros? I have a complete and up to date tree w/o putting
17 unneeded stress on our infra. I also have a place for testing ebuilds I
18 am not ready to commit. And most importantly to me, I can also work on
19 the tree in CVS w/o any extra hassle. Any questions, or improvements on
20 the above feel free to drop me a line.
21