From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:39:11
1 On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:12:36 +0200 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
2 | On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 00:48 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 | > My *only* concern in this is that someone who does not develop for
4 | > or even use a non-x86 arch is going around interfering in issues in
5 | > which he has no experience. When you have used our trees, and have
6 | > an understanding of the issues involved in a non-x86 port, please
7 | > feel free to bring your backed-up and justified (based upon *actual*
8 | > experience, not unfounded conjecture) views to our attention, and I
9 | > guarantee that they will be discussed based solely upon their
10 | > merits. Until then, kindly stay out of the way and let us do our
11 | > jobs.
12 |
13 | This is _not_ an arch specific issue, this is something that affects
14 | the quality of Gentoo overall. QA has enough merit in itself, but
15 | besides that it is based upon actual experience of things going wrong.
16
17 Where have you encountered problems based upon *your* actual use of
18 non-x86 kit? What, as someone who uses the non-x86 trees, is not working
19 for you that would be solved by your proposed change? Where are your
20 specific examples of how our policies have caused problems *for a box
21 you have actually used*? Where is your list of actual feedback from
22 *non-x86 users* illustrating that we are doing something wrong? Where is
23 the photographic proof that we have weapons of mass destruction? Simply
24 put, where is your evidence to back up your speculation and conjectures,
25 and why are the arch teams completely unaware of its existence?
28 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
29 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
30 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm