From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Depending on clang as a compiler
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:35:42
1 On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm currently considering using C++14 in my project, particularly
3 > features that aren't supported by gcc 4.8 and are barely supported by
4 > 4.9 [1], but the standard is already fully supported by clang 3.4 [2].
5 > Thus I wonder how bad is actually depending on recent clang in
6 > ebuilds?
7
8 If you want to do that, it's not a problem with me. That said, I
9 probably wouldn't install packages that wanted to pull in a whole
10 different toolchain unless I wanted them really badly (but on machines
11 where I already have clang installed, I might not even notice).
12
13 I'd say there's value in staying close to where the community's at, if
14 you actually want your software to be used. If you don't care that
15 much about your software being used by other people, nobody can stop
16 you.
17
18 Cheers,
19