From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remember to specify SLOT when adding subslot operator to dependencies
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 19:45:08
1 On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:31:14 -0400
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > Well, ok, but this doesn't relate to what I was writing. Subslot, or
4 > slot emulators or whatever, in their current usage with :=
5 > dependencies, are not fine grained enough for some use cases. Those
6 > cause regressions if used improperly.
7
8 There is no regression. Previously, packages sometimes broke when doing
9 an upgrade. Now, packages do not break when doing an upgrade.
10
11 > > You just make the ebuilds install different bits. In effect you
12 > > emulate a simple subset of how parts would do it.
13 >
14 > Which needs patching to be done properly... unless you are suggesting
15 > to build it twice and throw away whats not needed just to workaround
16 > subslots limitations.
17
18 It's up to the relevant developers to decide how much work they're
19 willing to put in to save some users a bit of CPU time.
20
21 > > > Or you can do parts/subpackages or subslot dictionaries to express
22 > > > that.
23 > >
24 > > Realistically, parts will never get implemented in Portage. Subslot
25 > > dictionaries might be, if anyone ever figures out what they're
26 > > supposed to be, but they're a heavy price for package developers to
27 > > pay. The question under discussion is whether it's a price worth
28 > > paying to avoid an occasional unnecessary rebuild. Since users do
29 > > far more unnecessary rebuilds for other reasons anyway, and
30 > > reducing CPU usage has never been a goal for Gentoo, I'm not
31 > > convinced it's worth caring about.
32 >
33 > Meanwhile, there's preserve-libs :)
34
35 Which causes breakage.
36
37 > Your argumentation is basically 'Other parts are doing it wrong so
38 > it's ok to add some more to it'... We're back a dozen emails back,
39 > aren't we?
40
41 It's not adding more to it. It's avoiding eliminating a tiny portion of
42 it. Even if you subscribe to the notion that unnecessary rebuilds are a
43 relevant problem, there's no point in caring about the occasional
44 unnecessary rebuild due to overly strict dependencies when most
45 unnecessary rebuilds are caused by something else entirely.
46
47 > It was meant as an example and has nothing to do with dependency
48 > resolution. The above exercise is something extreme but that we have
49 > to solve; preserve-libs has proven to be correct enough. You have yet
50 > to show a correct, in your sense, solution.
51
52 The correct solution is heavy slotting. And I'd hardly consider
53 "intermittently introduces invisible security holes and causes
54 unbootable systems" to be "correct enough"...
57 Ciaran McCreesh