From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remember to specify SLOT when adding subslot operator to dependencies
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:23:09
1 On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 20:44:57 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:31:14 -0400
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Well, ok, but this doesn't relate to what I was writing. Subslot, or
7 > > slot emulators or whatever, in their current usage with :=
8 > > dependencies, are not fine grained enough for some use cases. Those
9 > > cause regressions if used improperly.
10 >
11 > There is no regression. Previously, packages sometimes broke when
12 > doing an upgrade. Now, packages do not break when doing an upgrade.
13
14 The regression is the useless rebuild. Without preserve-libs, packages
15 break even more: cf the libc example.
16
17 > > > You just make the ebuilds install different bits. In effect you
18 > > > emulate a simple subset of how parts would do it.
19 > >
20 > > Which needs patching to be done properly... unless you are
21 > > suggesting to build it twice and throw away whats not needed just
22 > > to workaround subslots limitations.
23 >
24 > It's up to the relevant developers to decide how much work they're
25 > willing to put in to save some users a bit of CPU time.
26
27 It's up to those that want to force this on developers to do the
28 relevant work so that it can be done properly.
29
30 > > Your argumentation is basically 'Other parts are doing it wrong so
31 > > it's ok to add some more to it'... We're back a dozen emails back,
32 > > aren't we?
33 >
34 > It's not adding more to it. It's avoiding eliminating a tiny portion
35 > of it. Even if you subscribe to the notion that unnecessary rebuilds
36 > are a relevant problem, there's no point in caring about the
37 > occasional unnecessary rebuild due to overly strict dependencies when
38 > most unnecessary rebuilds are caused by something else entirely.
39
40 And here we go again...
41
42 > > It was meant as an example and has nothing to do with dependency
43 > > resolution. The above exercise is something extreme but that we have
44 > > to solve; preserve-libs has proven to be correct enough. You have
45 > > yet to show a correct, in your sense, solution.
46 >
47 > The correct solution is heavy slotting. And I'd hardly consider
48 > "intermittently introduces invisible security holes and causes
49 > unbootable systems" to be "correct enough"...
50
51 There is no difference between heavy slotting and preserve-libs in this
52 case.