From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:03:31
1 Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 >> To co-lead a Gentoo project? You need to be a dev to do that. I
3 >> couldn't join any projects even as a member until I became a dev, and
4 >> I created the distro. You are effectively co-leading (likely leading)
5 >> PMS as a non-dev - worse than that, as someone who has been explicitly
6 >> removed from a dev role.
7 >
8 > He's not leading it. He's writing parts of it under my lead, despite
9 > the fact that he's probably better qualified technically than I am to
10 > lead it.
11 >
12 Yes so in a /technical/ sense he's the lead. You defer to his greater
13 knowledge. Or are you more political than technical?
14
15 >> Again, you're not just submitting a patch but architecting the
16 >> strategic direction for package manager interoperability which has
17 >> strategic implications for Gentoo, and is more than just a
18 >> user-submitted "contribution."
19 >
20 > Nope. He's documenting the existing situation for package manager
21 > interoperability. Wherever PMS goes against existing practise it's been
22 > discussed either on -dev or with the portage developers past and
23 > present. Again, he's not influencing future direction this way.
24
25 Oh no of course not. Paludis is in fact being led in the most appropriate
26 political fashion, rather than the best technical approach for the job.
27
28 >> is more than just a
29 >> user-submitted "contribution."
30