From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:59:34
1 On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 05:11:17PM +0100, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
2 > Am 2020-03-18 15:54, schrieb William Hubbs:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > this came up again on the recent thread about dropping non x86/amd64
6 > > support for python packages, and I want to bring it up again on its own
7 > > thread.
8 > >
9 > > How often do architecture specific bugs really exist in languages like
10 > > perl, python etc? From what I've seen they are pretty rare. Not to
11 > > mention,
12 > > if we found one somewhere, we could adjust keywords as necessary.
13 >
14 > I'm not judging this proposal, just a data point: packages that e.g.
15 > read from /proc, especially /proc/cpuinfo, get easily blow up on
16 > architecture changes. See https://bugs.gentoo.org/663424 for an example.
17
18 Sure, but if you run into something like that you just don't use the
19 noarch keyword for those packages.
20
21 Thanks,
22