From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC - apache start page.
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:08:54
1 > > I like the new page, but we've always prided ourselves on the fact that
2 > > we provide our packages pretty much the way the package developers
3 > > intended.
4 >
5 > I think Apache's worth making a special case out of. Our user-base is
6 > changing, and is becoming less experienced than the early adopters.
7 > Providing an initial homepage that points them at useful documentation (that
8 > they may not even realise is available to them) would help these new users
9 > find their feet.
10
11 I just wanted to comment that this thread has generated a lot of "heat",
12 including some quite vitriolic comments. I don't necessarily agree with
13 Stuart's comment (I like the default Apache page because when somebody
14 experienced sees it that person instantly knows what it is), but I very
15 much respect his opinion. Some of the comments seem to be missing that
16 element of respect that I think both our users and our developers are
17 entitled to receive. Moreover, I'm not the apache maintainer (thank
18 goodness), so when i voiced my opinion I expected nothing else except
19 that it would be listened to, judged on its merits (or lack thereof),
20 and either accepted or rejected, which seems to be exactly what has
21 happened with the people who _are_ apache maintainers. As I mentioned,
22 I don't agree w/ the branding decision here, but I'm perfectly willing
23 to accept that I might well be wrong, and even if I weren't, I'm still
24 outvoted. In a community-based distribution it's probably not a good
25 idea to fight for your ideas to the death. If ninety-plus percent of
26 people disagree with you, you might just want to let it go.
27
28 My unasked-for two cents or so,
29 g2boojum
30 --
31 Grant Goodyear
32 Gentoo Developer
33 g2boojum@g.o
34 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
35 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76