From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:48:13
1 On 6/9/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > Wouldn't this process be *infinitely* easier if instead of "sunrise"
3 > there was a "pam" overlay with *only* the pam stuff?
4
5 I agree that it would make sense for the the sunrise overlay to
6 contain smaller package trees, with each package tree aimed at a
7 particular type of ebuild. Layman supports automatically downloading
8 each of these smaller trees as separate overlays.
9
10 This would still allow Sunrise to maintain a social workspace, where
11 Gentoo can encourage and train would-be developers (and hopefully
12 recruit the good ones) . In fact, I believe that it will work better,
13 because we'll be encouraging users to focus on particular problem
14 areas rather than encouraging users to download a large and sprawling
15 mass of packages.
16
17 Having smaller, targetted trees would also help ensure that Sunrise
18 doesn't become another BMG.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Stu