From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 00:12:03
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 00:30 +0200, Markus Ullmann wrote:
2 > > I know that when I spoke of security, I was not only talking about the
3 > > security of letting non-developers commit to an overlay that is, by
4 > > design, for end users, but also of the implications of ensuring that any
5 > > packages in these overlays are not vulnerable to exploits.
6 >
7 > You're right here, there is a chance that your system gets vulnerable.
8 > But this isn't limited to this one overlay. All overlays are affected here.
9
10 Not like you think that they are. Let me try to make this clearer.
11
12 The php overlay is maintained by the php developers. They are
13 intimately aware of the issues with their package, and are probably
14 aware of any security bugs before the rest of us.
15
16 You are talking about a random collection of ebuilds with absolutely no
17 cohesiveness other than they were submitted to bugzilla. How are you
18 going to maintain any form of security on this project?
19
20 > >> 2) responsibility
21 > >>
22 > >> As already mentioned at 1), it is an overlay. The devs on sunrise do
23 > >> keep an eye on it and all ebuilds do have to pass at least repoman and
24 > >> some basic QA checks (currently done when porting them from bugs.g.o) so
25 > >> that they don't do some rm -rf / thing. They should be improved by the
26 > >> contributors then so that we have two things here: a) a contributor who
27 > >> can contribute good-quality ebuils and b) a good ebuild to be picked up
28 > >> by a dev and ported to the tree
29 > >
30 > > The problem is that you are only checking on the initial commit. Go
31 > > back to point #1 (security).
32 >
33 > You just assume this, no real reason/example for it.
34
35 No. It clearly says that you would be doing the basic QA checks and
36 repoman checking on initial commit. You even said it right above where
37 I commented!
38
39 > > Honestly, having to break out a subversion client to check a fix
40 > > immediately sounds like extra work. It is usually much easier to simply
41 > > look at the attachment online and make a decision immediately.
42 >
43 > You don't need a subversion client, you perhaps notice the http in front
44 > of the url.. just open it up in your browser and you get the source
45 > immediately.
46
47 Umm... so now I need to go and instead of clicking a nice link in
48 bugzilla, trawl through the subversion repository and find what I'm
49 looking for? How exactly is downloading things via http any different
50 than downloading them from bugzilla, which is also http?
51
52 Now, I know that you're not an idiot, so please don't treat me like one.
53
54 > Or, if you want some history like sources.g.o, you can do so as well here:
55 > http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise/browser/
56
57 Excellent. So we're moving the history from being in a single location
58 (the bug) to being in multiple locations. That will definitely improve
59 the development process. Another thing that people tend to miss is that
60 not all improved versions of ebuilds submitted to bugzilla are done byt
61 he original authors. There are many cases where an initial ebuild is
62 done, a developer makes comments on what needs to be changed, and
63 *another* contributor gives a fixed ebuild. How exactly will this
64 streamline that process? No offense, but everything I have seen looks
65 as if it will add even *more* overhead to actually getting packages into
66 the tree. The only thing this seems to provide is a half-baked
67 repository for the users to get marginally-tested ebuilds for software
68 that wasn't interesting enough for inclusion in the tree.
69
70 > > Except that I can *look* at an ebuild without having to break out a
71 > > subversion client currently.
72 > See my answer in 3)
73
74 See mine. ;]
75
76 > > How exactly are they
77 > > supposed to know that this user has pam_skey even *available* to them
78 > > when all they see as an overlay is "sunrise" and not the
79 > > project-specific overlays that overlays.gentoo.org was designed for?
80 >
81 > Well as the ebuilds in there already have open bugs, comments can be
82 > attached there.
83
84 This is a bug for an ebuild that the user does not think is related to
85 the pam_skey. Go back and read what I wrote.
86
87 > Secondly, the portage team already integrates a patch to show you a
88 > bright warning in the error that you use an overlay... also, if you take
89 > a look at the PORTDIR_OVERLAY in emerge --info, you can get really fast
90 > that in case you don't find the ebuild in tree that it doesn't belong
91 > there. (We even get bugs originating at other overlay's ebuils...)
92
93 Again, read what I wrote. I said that the developer would see "sunrise"
94 in the PORTDIR_OVERLAY of the user's emerge --info, which you reiterated
95 without considering. This is a login bug. At no point did they make
96 mention of having installed pam_skey from this overlay. This means that
97 I, as the developer getting this bug, am now responsible for looking at
98 *every package* in the sunrise overlay to determine if *any* of them
99 could *possibly* be affecting this package or causing this bug, then
100 asking the user if they have any of them installed.
101
102 Wouldn't this process be *infinitely* easier if instead of "sunrise"
103 there was a "pam" overlay with *only* the pam stuff?
104
105 That is *exactly* what we get with the other overlays like php and
106 vmware. I *know* that if I'm looking at a glibc bug and the user has
107 "php" as an overlay, that it isn't going to be a concern.
108
109 > > All of the time wasted to determine that the user has done something
110 > > unsupported to break their system is time that this developer could be
111 > > working on a problem with a package that is actually in the portage
112 > > tree, which is our primary product.
113 >
114 > bug wranglers already do this job currently...
115
116 They do this in a very quick and cursory manner. They do a pretty good
117 job of it, but there are countless bugs which they do not catch that are
118 not assigned properly or end up being invalid due to user negligence.
119 The bug wranglers cannot be *expected* to perform this level of service,
120 lest they burn out and run away within a couple weeks. ;]
121
122 > > You miss something. Things in this overlay still don't make it into the
123 > > official tree unless a maintainer picks it up. Taking an ebuild from
124 > > bugzilla and being responsible for it and taking an ebuild from an
125 > > overlay and being responsible for it have the exact same cost on
126 > > developer resources. Someone *still* has to maintain it.
127 >
128 > Yup, but the proxy maintainerships are much easier to track as they're
129 > done on one central place...
130
131 This is a prime example of totally glossing over any discussion to make
132 it sound promising for you. How exactly is a proxy maintainer going to
133 know that a new version of an ebuild has been committed? Either by
134 watching the overlay like a hawk, or when the maintainer
135 emails/pings/whatever and lets him know that there's a new version. How
136 exactly is this easier to track? Even better, if I am the proxy
137 maintainer for a particular set of ebuilds for one or more
138 user/maintainers, why do I need it in your big, bloated, and completely
139 inappropriately-named "sunshine" overlay versus a developer overlay of
140 my own? After all, I am the *only* proxy maintainer. Why should there
141 be the added *insecurity* of allowing any number of people that *I*
142 might not trust complete access to the small number of packages where I
143 am the proxy?
146 Chris Gianelloni
147 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
148 x86 Architecture Team
149 Games - Developer
150 Gentoo Linux