From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:33:49
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 20:06 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > You don't need a subversion client, you perhaps notice the http in front
3 > > of the url.. just open it up in your browser and you get the source
4 > > immediately.
5 >
6 > Umm... so now I need to go and instead of clicking a nice link in
7 > bugzilla, trawl through the subversion repository and find what I'm
8 > looking for? How exactly is downloading things via http any different
9 > than downloading them from bugzilla, which is also http?
10 just my point of view -
11
12 bugzilla sucks. Ever had to download 10 attachments for one ebuild?
13 It is a good tool for discussion, but I would prefer a simple tool (like
14 layman) that can automatically update things. You obviously don't like
15 overlays, but that shouldn't be a reason to stop us from using it.
16
17 > > Or, if you want some history like sources.g.o, you can do so as well here:
18 > > http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise/browser/
19 >
20 > Excellent. So we're moving the history from being in a single location
21 > (the bug) to being in multiple locations. That will definitely improve
22 > the development process.
23 Yes, now it is easier to check out the ebuilds. More users ==> better
24 testing.
25 ;-)
26
27 > No offense, but everything I have seen looks
28 > as if it will add even *more* overhead to actually getting packages into
29 > the tree. The only thing this seems to provide is a half-baked
30 > repository for the users to get marginally-tested ebuilds for software
31 > that wasn't interesting enough for inclusion in the tree.
32 That differs from the 20 or so overlays maintained by users how?
33 Honestly I'd prefer an overlay where I can marginally trust the content
34 over a "foreign" repository maintained by people I don't know.
35 And the quality of some of the overlays ... better have that supervised
36 by devs, they should know how to handle b0rkage.
37
38 > > > Except that I can *look* at an ebuild without having to break out a
39 > > > subversion client currently.
40 > > See my answer in 3)
41 > See mine. ;]
42 Hmmm ... bugzilla.
43 Instead of a simple cvs up; cd /usr/local/portage/category/package I
44 need to search for ALL bugs with $name in it, look which one it is,
45 curse bugzilla for falling asleep again, see which attachments are
46 relevant, download them, curse bugzilla for falling asleep again, copy
47 them to my overlay, read the bugcomments to see if any special renaming
48 or directory structure is needed ...
49
50 Hmmm. I think an overlay does have some advantages there ...
53 > Again, read what I wrote. I said that the developer would see "sunrise"
54 > in the PORTDIR_OVERLAY of the user's emerge --info, which you reiterated
55 > without considering. This is a login bug. At no point did they make
56 > mention of having installed pam_skey from this overlay. This means that
57 > I, as the developer getting this bug, am now responsible for looking at
58 > *every package* in the sunrise overlay to determine if *any* of them
59 > could *possibly* be affecting this package or causing this bug, then
60 > asking the user if they have any of them installed.
61 This differs from a manually patched ebuild in /usr/portage by virtue of showing you that an overlay is used ...
62
63 > Wouldn't this process be *infinitely* easier if instead of "sunrise"
64 > there was a "pam" overlay with *only* the pam stuff?
65 Ooooh, cool. Now I need about 75 overlays to get things done, and of course there will be no bad interaction between them ;-)
66
67 Having one overlay with a focus on not-in-portage ebuilds should not
68 cause the scenario you described and will most likely cause less weird
69 bugs because of intra-overlay dependencies.
70 </opinion>
71
72 > That is *exactly* what we get with the other overlays like php and
73 > vmware. I *know* that if I'm looking at a glibc bug and the user has
74 > "php" as an overlay, that it isn't going to be a concern.
75 ... and if we control the overlay we can exclude things like system
76 packages easily.
77 Could be part of the policy to not touch existing ebuilds.
78
79 > This is a prime example of totally glossing over any discussion to make
80 > it sound promising for you.
81 If bugzilla wasn't so sucky people wouldn't try to use other methods of
82 communication ;-)
83
84 And again, one svn repo vs. 113 hard-to-find bugs ...
85
86 > Even better, if I am the proxy
87 > maintainer for a particular set of ebuilds for one or more
88 > user/maintainers, why do I need it in your big, bloated, and completely
89 > inappropriately-named "sunshine" overlay versus a developer overlay of
90 > my own?
91 You don't. Please use your developer overlay. Please don't try to take
92 away our more open overlay.
93
94 > After all, I am the *only* proxy maintainer. Why should there
95 > be the added *insecurity* of allowing any number of people that *I*
96 > might not trust complete access to the small number of packages where I
97 > am the proxy?
98 It's your choice. Either you get mailbombed with each minor version update or you trust them to not screw up with the sunrise overlay.
99
100 And the users could just create their own overlay, get it added to
101 layman and we'd have the same without supervision. From where I'm
102 standing it's better to have the possibility to nuke a bad ebuild in the
103 overlay instead of asking some random user to change this in that
104 overlay because of $problem.
105
106 Maybe we even find some motivated new ebuild monkeys that have the
107 motivation to become devs ... one can always hope :-)
110 Patrick
111 --
112 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move