From: Edward Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:08:23
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 10:28 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > > > > Except that I can *look* at an ebuild without having to break out a
3 > > > > subversion client currently.
4 > > > See my answer in 3)
5 > > See mine. ;]
6 > Hmmm ... bugzilla.
7 > Instead of a simple cvs up; cd /usr/local/portage/category/package I
8 > need to search for ALL bugs with $name in it, look which one it is,
9 > curse bugzilla for falling asleep again, see which attachments are
10 > relevant, download them, curse bugzilla for falling asleep again, copy
11 > them to my overlay, read the bugcomments to see if any special renaming
12 > or directory structure is needed ...
13 >
14 > Hmmm. I think an overlay does have some advantages there ...
15
16 Advantages? With bugzilla I: search for the bug, cc myself on it,
17 download the relevant files, look over them, note a style error, try to
18 merge it, fix a compilation bug, re-upload the fixed ebuild and patch to
19 bugzilla with a comment to the ebuild author on their mistake. When an
20 update hits my inbox I can go directly to the bug...
21
22 With an overlay: search sunrice.gentoo.org for the package (no, I don't
23 know category/name), sync that directory (no, I'm not syncing the whole
24 sunrice tree), check it over, note some mistakes, compile it if I feel
25 OK with it, it fails, I fix it - and what then? Where do I discuss the
26 problems? How do I get my fixes to other users, considering the package
27 is devless and the b.g.o bug is out of date? If I open a b.g.o bug, will
28 it be read?
29
30 This seems like *raising* the barrier to entry to me...
31
32 Ed
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list