From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing metadata.xml
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:51:09
1 On Thursday 23 November 2006 11:20, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Bryan Østergaard napsal(a):
3 > > I think the most important thing about adding "empty" metadata.xml files
4 > > with maintainer-needed as maintainer is that it _changes_ the package to
5 > > be unmaintained by definition (that's what maintainer-needed means after
6 > > all) and that we can't be sure that's actually true unless we spend a
7 > > lot of time examining each package and asking potential maintainers
8 > > if it's unmaintained.
9 >
10 > Actually, I don't mind much. There's a developers or two who keep on
11 > adding packages without metadata.xml all the time (won't name anyone,
12 > I'm pretty sure they'll find themselves here :P). This will either force
13 > them to reclaim their packages via fixing the metadata.xml thing or will
14 > leave the ebuilds orphaned to m-needed - and then they shouldn't have
15 > been added in the first place.
16 >
17 > Above, I'm not talking about legacy stuff maintained in an ad-hoc manner
18 > for ages, but about fairly recent additions to the tree (~1 year or even
19 > less). However, even for legacy stuff, nothing is preventing the people
20 > from claiming their ebuilds the right way and adding themselves to
21 > metadata.xml - will make assigning bugs much easier for me. ;)
22
23 Repoman should check for missing metadata. The only packages that are allowed
24 not to have metadata.xml would be those that have not been changed for over 3
25 years (since the introduction of metadata.xml). Developers who violate the
26 repoman checks by omitting a metadata.xml brought mayhem over themselves.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze
32 Gentoo Developer