From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing metadata.xml
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:17:34
1 Bryan Østergaard napsal(a):
2 > I think the most important thing about adding "empty" metadata.xml files
3 > with maintainer-needed as maintainer is that it _changes_ the package to
4 > be unmaintained by definition (that's what maintainer-needed means after
5 > all) and that we can't be sure that's actually true unless we spend a
6 > lot of time examining each package and asking potential maintainers
7 > if it's unmaintained.
8
9 Actually, I don't mind much. There's a developers or two who keep on
10 adding packages without metadata.xml all the time (won't name anyone,
11 I'm pretty sure they'll find themselves here :P). This will either force
12 them to reclaim their packages via fixing the metadata.xml thing or will
13 leave the ebuilds orphaned to m-needed - and then they shouldn't have
14 been added in the first place.
15
16 Above, I'm not talking about legacy stuff maintained in an ad-hoc manner
17 for ages, but about fairly recent additions to the tree (~1 year or even
18 less). However, even for legacy stuff, nothing is preventing the people
19 from claiming their ebuilds the right way and adding themselves to
20 metadata.xml - will make assigning bugs much easier for me. ;)
24 Best regards,
25
26 Jakub Moc
27 mailto:jakub@g.o
28 GPG signature:
29 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
30 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
31
32 ... still no signature ;)