From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] moving kernel config checks forward: potential config checking tool
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 22:55:05
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 11:47:38PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > > Can we consider moving the checks for set A somewhere else, such that we
3 > > don't check the kernel config during package compile & install time, but
4 > > only check it later? This also meaningfully resolves that cases where
5 > > the system that has package building isn't where the packages are being
6 > > used.
7 > I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but if you mean not doing
8 > checks before compiling/installing, then I have to disagree. There is
9 > value in knowing about this kind of problems early (hey, that's why we
10 > have pkg_pretend in the first place!)
11 Ebuilds should be able to call the tool (but it could be made optional
12 easily), which does the checks MORE efficiently than the present eclass
13 code. The ebuilds would be responsible for suitable warnings or failures
14 based on the tool's output.
15
16 E.g. maybe you're in a rescue environment and you know the tooling will
17 work fine on your final environment.
18
19 > There's certainly value in knowing 'I need to rebuild my kernel' early
20 > vs learning only after you've spent significant time waiting for some
21 > package to build.
22
23 One thing to this is if you're doing pkg_pretend for multiple packages
24 in a single emerge call, the tool could greatly amortize the cost of the
25 checks, as well as having them available after merge.
26
27 Great thought I had would be this tool could ALSO run on boot and warn
28 if some packages are unlikely to work
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
33 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
34 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
35 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136