From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] moving kernel config checks forward: potential config checking tool
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 21:47:46
1 On Mon, 2021-09-27 at 19:14 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > I wanted to break the prior thread to discuss the root issue.
3 >
4 > We have some set of packages (A) which collectively depend on one or
5 > more kernel options being set in specific ways, and the options need to
6 > REMAIN set if you want the packages to continue work.
7 >
8 > There are also a subset of packages (B), usually kernel modules themselves
9 > that will outright fail to compile if specific options are/are not set.
10 >
11 > Can we consider moving the checks for set A somewhere else, such that we
12 > don't check the kernel config during package compile & install time, but
13 > only check it later? This also meaningfully resolves that cases where
14 > the system that has package building isn't where the packages are being
15 > used.
18 I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but if you mean not doing
19 checks before compiling/installing, then I have to disagree. There is
20 value in knowing about this kind of problems early (hey, that's why we
21 have pkg_pretend in the first place!)
22
23 There's certainly value in knowing 'I need to rebuild my kernel' early
24 vs learning only after you've spent significant time waiting for some
25 package to build.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny