From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: libpng16 won't be able to show some broken icons libpng15 was still able to
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:14:45
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 01:19:05PM +0200, Tobias Klausmann wrote
2
3 > The second problem, however, is trickier. We can rely on people
4 > noticing the error messages/broken packages and hope they file
5 > bugs. The other option is to have a QA-like check for it, again
6 > using the simplest possible binary to do so.
7
8 Will those messages be during the ebuild? There are currently
9 messages like...
10
11 > QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
12 > may exhibit random runtime failures.
13 > ExtensionSubtables.cpp:32:31: warning: dereferencing type-punned
14 > pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
15 >
16 > Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above
17 > QA issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
18 > Homepage: http://www.icu-project.org/
19
20 A similar message, about non-displaying icons instead of "random
21 runtime failures" may be in order. At the very least, it will let end
22 users know who to report the problem to.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications