From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: bakirov@××××××××.kg
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating tbz2 or RPMS from ebuild for different hosts!
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:22:53
1 I know there are developers looking at some of the features you are
2 looking for. I haven't seen it in portage yet, but then again I havn't
3 been actively looking for it.
4
6 > Hash: SHA1
7 >
8 > We have different servers on different platforms - AMD, Intel!
9 >
10 > So, it would be better to build packages for those platforms, for AMD
11 > with AMD optimization flags, for Intel with Intel optimization flags!
12 >
13 > We don't want any of our production servers to compile software, instead
14 > we will dedicate another box (so-called dev machine) for compiling. And
15 > we want to build packages on this box only.
16
17 As for now I believe you will have to set up different chroots for each
18 arch in order to do it the absolutely correct way. This can be done quite
19 easily, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml will most
20 likely give you most of the clues you need to set up a chroot with a valid
21 "gentoo-install".
22
23 > What I'm looking for, is to be able:
24 >
25 > o to specify a target, optimization flags to compiler (e.g. -O2 -
26 > -march=athlon-xp -funroll-loops)
27 >
28 > o to specify which options will be supported in the package (ldap, ssl,
29 > db, mysql, postgresql, etc... support, of course, all necessary
30 > libraries will be on a devbox)
31 >
32 > o to create tbz2 or RPM package (it was mentioned in a Portage manual as
33 > a directory locations: there were two options: PKGDIR and RPMDIR, so I
34 > guess it can create tbz2 and/or RPM) :)
37 rpms I do not know about, but packages that can be installed with portage
38 should not be a problem.
39
40 > Is it possible?
41 >