From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some ideas
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:44:37
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have a couple ideas that could be used later on...
6 >
7 > First, I think we could use the categories for packages in more than
8 > just the portage tree. We could sort the distfiles directory by
9 > category,
10
11 Hmm that does not work. For example ghostscript need jpeg-6b-sources to
12 compile
13 so the jpeg source must be ther twice.
14 But we can use debian-like alphabetic subdirs.
15
16 > as well as sort the directories in /usr/share/doc by
17 > category as well. That way, if there's a conflict in package names
18 > (not terribly likely) or in source tarball/patch file names (much more
19 > likely).
20
21 ?
25 > Second, I think we should write a document (kind of a Gentoo-HOWTO)
26 > that defines a standard file naming convention for everything that
27 > goes into the CVS tree (like patches and other auxillary files), and
28 > explain where everything thats installed should go, how to format your
29 > ebuild file, rules on how certain things should be done in ebuild
30 > files, etc. That way, we can make the portage tree completely
31 > self-consistent. If you want, I can start writing something like this,
32 > and then you guys can give me more ideas to put in it or tell me what
33 > I should change.
34
35 Good idea these are the necesary things I never have time for.
39 > Pete
40
41 achim~
46 > gentoo-dev mailing list