From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 updated
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 22:16:00
1 2009/5/17 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 17 May 2009 23:17:57 +0200
4 >> Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> 2. "Add new global scope functions in any sane way"
6 >>> This is a valid use case, as seen by the eapi-2 update. But the way
7 >>> this is currently handled by portage (advising to upgrade the package
8 >>> manager) works. So I don't see a need to change the file extension for
9 >>> this reason.
10 >>
11 >> It means we can't start using those new global scope functions until
12 >> we're sure that everyone's going to be upgraded, because users get
13 >> extremely upset if they start seeing that kind of message.
14 >
15 > Isn't that a given anyway? I think the way eapi-2 was introduced into
16 > the tree wasn't particularly problematic.
17
18 I think there might be a misunderstanding here. Ciaran means functions
19 provided by the package manager that ebuilds can call during metadata
20 generation, for example built-in versionator-like functionality, not
21 new phase functions like src_prepare and src_configure.