From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 updated
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 22:07:09
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 17 May 2009 23:17:57 +0200
3 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >> 1. "Incompatible change of inherit (e.g. make it look in the package
5 >> dir too)"
6 >> A case would need to be made, in my opinion, as to why we would wish
7 >> to allow this in the first place. The current inherit behavior with
8 >> eclasses in a central place works well enough. So I think we can
9 >> disregard this.
10 >
11 > There are already horrible hacks in the tree to get per-package
12 > 'eclasses'. That's a clear sign there's something lacking.
13
14 I haven't come across any horrible hacks, that I'm aware of, but of
15 course my interest is only in certain parts of the tree.
16
17 >> 2. "Add new global scope functions in any sane way"
18 >> This is a valid use case, as seen by the eapi-2 update. But the way
19 >> this is currently handled by portage (advising to upgrade the package
20 >> manager) works. So I don't see a need to change the file extension for
21 >> this reason.
22 >
23 > It means we can't start using those new global scope functions until
24 > we're sure that everyone's going to be upgraded, because users get
25 > extremely upset if they start seeing that kind of message.
26
27 Isn't that a given anyway? I think the way eapi-2 was introduced into
28 the tree wasn't particularly problematic.
29
30 >> 3. "Extend versioning rules in an EAPI - for example, addition of the
31 >> scm suffix - GLEP54 [1] or allowing more sensible version formats like
32 >> 1-rc1, 1-alpha etc. to match upstream more closely."
33 >> Apart from GLEP54, I believe our versioning scheme works reasonably
34 >> well. I don't see any need to match upstream more closely. I'd rather
35 >> like to keep the more uniform way of handling suffixes like rc and
36 >> alpha, that we have now.
37 >
38 > Please explain why 1.2_rc3 is legal but 1.2-rc3 is not.
39
40 Because we say so. We have chosen to do it a certain way. This works.
41 It's uniform, it's simple, and therefor has a certain beauty to it. I
42 see no pressing reason why we should start allowing alternative forms.
45 Ben de Groot
46 Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)
47 Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison