From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tightly-coupled core distro [was: Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:51:32
1 On 11/18/2012 04:34 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
2 > To be honest, in my opinion, «killing of separate /usr» can reasonable
3 > be continued by moving all it's content to / (/usr/bin -> /bin, /usr/lib
4 > -> lib, and so on) in despite of all objections, as it was invented just
5 > because of disk space exhaustion.
6
7 And since we have lots of wonderful file systems, a neat and interesting
8 device mapper and a plethora of fun way to shot ourselves in the foot
9 not only you have a separate /usr but even fun separate /usr/bin from
10 /usr/share and other strange layout that some people prepared to solve
11 some of their problems.
12
13 The radical solution is to have a rich early boot able to do this kind
14 of setup, for the transition you might want to not have init and udev
15 non-workable because somebody decided that is useful using glib or some
16 other library residing in /usr/
17
18 lu