From: Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:03:43
1 2009-09-20 20:46:17 Nirbheek Chauhan napisaƂ(a):
2 > On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
3 > <Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
4 > > There is a difference between Python scripts and Python modules.
7 > Yes, I'm well aware of the difference between them.
8 >
9 > [snip]
10 > > Python modules shouldn't have shebang. Python modules are intended to
11 > > be imported from Python scripts or other Python modules. Any shebang
12 > > in a Python module is ignored, when this module is imported using 'import'
13 > > statement.
16 > You forget that the search path for both installs is different, and
17 > hence modules installed for python-3 cannot be found/used by scripts
18 > using python-2;
19
20 These modules can be installed for both Python 2 and 3 simultaneously.
21
22 > >> Seriously, if you *really* *really* want python-3 stable, it should:
23 > ...
24 > >> 2) NOT be a dependency of any package in stable
25 > >
26 > > It isn't implementable without having to change dependencies in hundreds
27 > > of packages. There is nothing wrong in having Python 3 installed which
28 > > would use small amount of disk space.
31 > You're twisting what I mean. You know what I mean -- packages
32 > *needing* python-3.
33
34 So "Seriously, if you *really* *really* want python-3 stable, it should:
35 ...
36 2) NOT be a dependency of any package in stable" is already met, because
37 no stable package unconditionally needs Python 3. If it was otherwise,
38 then the dependency tree of these stable packages would be broken.
41 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis