From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:46:19
1 On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
2 <Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
3 > There is a difference between Python scripts and Python modules.
6 Yes, I'm well aware of the difference between them.
7
8 [snip]
9 > Python modules shouldn't have shebang. Python modules are intended to
10 > be imported from Python scripts or other Python modules. Any shebang
11 > in a Python module is ignored, when this module is imported using 'import'
12 > statement.
15 You forget that the search path for both installs is different, and
16 hence modules installed for python-3 cannot be found/used by scripts
17 using python-2; which results in the dependency hell; which was the
18 basis for my whole argument.
21 >> Seriously, if you *really* *really* want python-3 stable, it should:
22 >>
23 >> 1) NOT show up in `eselect python` to set as the default interpreter
24 >
25 > When a user wants to work for an hour with a script requiring Python 3,
26 > and doesn't want to use e.g. Portage during this time, then it is
27 > reasonable to run 'eselect python set python3.1' once and be able
28 > to just use './script.py' instead of having to type 'python3.1 script.py'
29 > every time. Next this user can switch active Python back to 2.6.
32 The user would rather just edit the shebang for an hour rather than
33 become root, eselect and get back. Only us weird system-fudgers always
34 have a root shell running, most people rarely do.
35
36 >> 2) NOT be a dependency of any package in stable
37 >
38 > It isn't implementable without having to change dependencies in hundreds
39 > of packages. There is nothing wrong in having Python 3 installed which
40 > would use small amount of disk space.
43 You're twisting what I mean. You know what I mean -- packages
44 *needing* python-3.
47 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
48
49 GNOME+Mozilla Team, Gentoo