From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 22:06:24
1 On Tue, 30 May 2017 00:01:16 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > >>>>> On Mon, 29 May 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > On pon, 2017-05-29 at 20:00 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > >> Can you provide an efficient algorithm for the above syntax? That
6 > >> is, given a set of +/- useflags forced by user, output the set of
7 > >> effective useflags (or a rant if it is inconsistent).
8 >
9 > > I'd rather leave that to people who are good with algorithms. I find
10 > > the whole thing scary but I don't really see a sane alternative
11 > > here. Worst case, we have to figure out some arbitrary limitations
12 > > to keep things sane.
13 >
14 > IMHO the sanest alternative would be to restrict the syntax to USE
15 > conditional forms which have an obvious solution. One of the many
16 > problems of REQUIRED_USE is that it sometimes requires solving a
17 > Zebra Puzzle.
18
19 Solving zebra puzzles isn't really that bad in practice most of the
20 time. The tricky bit is finding the *right* solution, given poor input
21 data that doesn't really let you evaluate what right is. As a simple
22 example, in the olden days, the most obvious and shortest answer to
23 fixing Gnome resolution errors was to set USE=mips because that
24 disabled a whole load of browser dependencies...
27 Ciaran McCreesh