From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 22:01:35
1 >>>>> On Mon, 29 May 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On pon, 2017-05-29 at 20:00 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
4 >> Can you provide an efficient algorithm for the above syntax? That
5 >> is, given a set of +/- useflags forced by user, output the set of
6 >> effective useflags (or a rant if it is inconsistent).
7
8 > I'd rather leave that to people who are good with algorithms. I find
9 > the whole thing scary but I don't really see a sane alternative here.
10 > Worst case, we have to figure out some arbitrary limitations to keep
11 > things sane.
12
13 IMHO the sanest alternative would be to restrict the syntax to USE
14 conditional forms which have an obvious solution. One of the many
15 problems of REQUIRED_USE is that it sometimes requires solving a
16 Zebra Puzzle.
17
18 Also, can we find a better name? Sorry for the bikeshedding at this
19 early stage, but I believe that ENFORCED_USE can be easily confused
20 with use.force in profiles. MAPPED_USE? USE_MAP?
21
22 Ulrich