From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [packagekit] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:08:30
1 Am Freitag, den 12.06.2009, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Pipping:
2 > Richard Hughes wrote:
3 > > I'm slightly worried about it being called a service. Is it going to
4 > > be a new process that just does the mapping or is this a bad choice of
5 > > words? If it is a new process then I'm not sure such a thing will
6 > > catch on.
7 >
8 > I'm not yet sure about how a mapper will keep it's data
9 > fresh as the use of it is dependent on that.
10 > Ignore my "service" for now.
13 > > I'm also worried that a package manager has to read in and parse
14 > > thousands of small files.
15 >
16 > While you mention "package manager" - with the current concept
17 > the data will not be precise enough for use with a package manager.
20 > > Why did you decide to write each project as
21 > > a single xml file?
22 >
23 > - The other 99% of the database stay valid XML if a single
24 > file is invalid
25 >
26 > - To better fit the version controlled environment
29 > > Parsing and reading 10,000 files (in multiple directories) might take
30 > > a few seconds, and would have to be copied into memory (few Mb) to
31 > > query quickly.
32 >
33 > Correct.
36 > > Which has to be invalidated if any of the files or
37 > > directories change. Why didn't you just put them in a sqlite database
38 > > that can be queried in a few ms, without dragging in an xml parser?
39 > > Also 10,000 files take up way more space (and takes longer to install
40 > > and update) than a single database file.
41 >
42 > I like your idea about sqlite. Maybe keeping the data to edit XML
43 > and query and sqlite export snapshot is something to try.
44 Why not use a XML database like dbxml?
45 Maybe you could just specify the XML files as storage and then dbxml
46 would do the rest.
51 > > XML might be
52 > > useful for storing the data, but not for querying.
53 >
54 > Good point.
55
56 Using XPath and XQuery you can do queries on XML as well.
57
58 Cheers,
59 Tiziano
62 Tiziano Müller
63 Gentoo Linux Developer, Council Member
64 Areas of responsibility:
65 Samba, PostgreSQL, CPP, Python, sysadmin, GLEP Editor
66 E-Mail : dev-zero@g.o
67 GnuPG FP : F327 283A E769 2E36 18D5 4DE2 1B05 6A63 AE9C 1E30

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature