From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 01:29:53
1 On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Let's say I try to do this as a meta package. So in my overlay I
4 > create a category "meta-set" and a file "meta-set/pmbuild-0.ebuild"
5 >
6 > EAPI=5
7 > SLOT="0"
8 > KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"
9 > DEPEND="
10 > >=app-arch/zip-2.3
11 > >=dev-lang/perl-5.6
12 > >=dev-lang/python-2.7.3
13 > >=dev-lang/yasm-1.0.1
14 > >=dev-libs/glib-2.24
15 > dev-vcs/git
16 > media-libs/fontconfig
17 > >=media-libs/freetype-2.1.0
18 > media-libs/mesa
19 > =sys-devel/autoconf-2.13
20 > sys-devel/gcc
21 > <=x11-libs/gtk+-3.0
22 > x11-libs/libXt
23 > x11-themes/hicolor-icon-theme"
24 >
25 > Does each entry have to be detailed with configure, install, etc,
26 > stuff, or is this sufficient?
29 Setting aside QA stuff like description/etc (which wouldn't matter if
30 you're just doing this in your own overlay) this should work fine. If
31 you install this it would pull in all the other stuff, and then do
32 nothing. If you intend for this stuff to stick around you probably
33 want to put it in RDEPEND, otherwise it will just get cleaned at first
34 opportunity.
35
36 Ebuilds specify their dependencies, they don't have to replicate the
37 ebuilds of those dependencies. If portage needs to install git it
38 will go read the git ebuild and figure out how to install it.
39
40 Most of the stuff under /usr/portage/virtual should give you a sense
41 of what can be done. Virtuals are really only different from
42 meta-packages in how they're used, not how they work.
43
44 It is slightly more cruft than a set, but honestly not a great deal so.
47 Rich