From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] root:root and fbsd
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:43:37
1 On Sunday 22 May 2005 10:49, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > ok another problem for Gentoo/FreeBSD project :P
4 > Currently there are a few places where, to fix permissions of files,
5 > the ebuilds does a chown -R root:root ${D} or something similar.
6 > Unfortunately such a command is invalid on G/FBSD because there's no
7 > root group, instead wheel group has GID=0.
8 >
9 > So I was wondering for a solution for this problem: we have a $USERLAND
10 > variable which can be used to select the way the chown must be done, if
11 > chown root:root or chown root:wheel; I think both BSD and Darwin
12 > userland prefers root:wheel above root:root, so maybe adding a function
13 > in eutils which fixes the permissions based on the current $USERLAND
14 > value is enough...
15 >
16 > Comments?
17
18 Why not change the stuff to
19 chown -R 0:0 ${D}
20
21 That way it is user proof. The master accounts allways have id's 0:0 but
22 user's might decide to change their names.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer